Saturday, September 1, 2012

Was it Worth It?


I think this is one of the most common questions I get asked and I’ll probably have to answer it a hundred more times. I think throughout my service and now that my service is done I have always answered YES. That is the simple answer. Was the last two years of my life worth it? Yes.

I might have gotten a dozen diseases, had thousands of awkward moments, been frustrated, angry, victimized, bored, and tired--so so tired. But, I also came away with an overwhelming sense that one person can change the world. I’m not saying that I have and I have also learned so much about how horribly good intentions can go wrong, but I have worked with some incredible and passionate people. It’s not that one person creates all the change, but passion is contagious and the world needs people who can be responsible leaders. Often, a community just needs a catalyst-- that extra push to galvanize the people. The hardest part is to identify what that catalyst is. Sometimes it’s a person who doesn’t give up and holds themselves to a high standard of responsibility. I really see that now and I am going to work my hardest to become that person. 

No comments:

Post a Comment